How Do I Maintain My Swimming Pool Water?
21 Mar 2023 0 Comments
Looking after the water in your pool can feel like an intimidating job, but it doesn't have to be. While there is a bit of a learning curve you'll find that if you follow certain procedures on a regular basis it will soon become a piece of cake. Check out the instructions in this handy blog post and you'll be on your way to enjoying your swimming pool experience. Let's first walk through the 5 Keys to Great Pool Care:
There are many other chemicals that are used in special situations. For example algae killers, clarifiers and stain & scale cleansers. Come see us to check whether they are needed and for the instructions. Our favorite line of pool care products for a traditional chlorine pool is the Dazzle Healthy, More Natural Line from Backyard Brands. It is a super easy system to use that really enhances your backyard swimming experiences. Here is the 3-step system explained: Step 1: Add Dazzle Ultra Cleanse weekly to the skimmer while pump is running. It provides protection against the risk of algae by removing phosphates. This is a healthier, more natural way to prevent algae in your pool. Dosage is 40mL per 10,000L of pool water. Step 2: Add Dazzle Amaze Plus weekly by broadcasting the powder over the water surface. It detoxifies and clarifies your water by removing non-filterable wastes and restores the pool to nice, sparkling water. One pouch (350gr) of Dazzle Amaze Plus can take care of 40,000L of pool water. Step 3: Add Dazzle Mega Sticks to your skimmer basket. Usually you'll go through about 2 sticks weekly but that all depends on chlorine demand. These chlorine sticks control bacteria growth in your swimming pool water. For additional answers to frequently asked questions, check out our Pool Water Care FAQ page.
- Circulation: Every pool has a pump that circulates water through the filter system and back to the pool. The more your water is in motion, the less chance bacteria and algae have to take hold and grow. For best results, let your main pool pump run 24 hours a day/7 days a week. The pump should never run less than 12 hours per day.
- Filtration: The filter is one of your most important pieces of pool equipment. It removes both visible debris and microscopic matter.
- Cleaning: Most swimming pools have areas with little or no circulation (such as corners and steps). This is where algae and bacteria can start to grow. It is important to brush the walls and floor at least once a week to keep the entire pool clean. If you do not have an automatic cleaner, vacuum with your manual vacuum at least once a week to remove debris.
- Testing: Every pool has characteristics that must be measured and adjusted. This includes Free Chlorine, Total Chlorine, pH, Alkalinity, and Calcium Hardness. Use a test strip at least once a week to monitor these readings in your pool, and adjust them accordingly. We will go into that more later.
- Water Care: The last step in a pool maintenance program is to apply the right products to your water to keep it crystal clear. Adding chemicals also helps to provide a safe and sanitary swimming environment, and protect the pool surface and equipment from damage.
|Chemical||What it does|
|Dazzle Mega Sticks/Tabs or Powerpucks||Chlorinating sticks to control bacteria and algae|
|Dazzle Amaze Plus||Oxidizes organic wastes out of the water, clarifies water and provides a chlorine boost|
|Dazzle Ultra Cleanse||Maintains near zero phosphate level and reduces waterline ring|
|Dazzle Pro Balance TA +||Fast acting mineral that raises total alkalinity|
|Dazzle Pro Balance pH +||High-grade mineral that raises pH quickly and efficiently|
|Dazzle Pro Balance pH -||High-grade mineral that lowers alkalinity and pH safely|
If you have questions or would like more information, please call our Water Care Technicians at 403-327-7665, or come see us at 1252 - 3 Ave S, Lethbridge.